Skip to main content

What rabbit cage is right for you?

Howdy Bunny Lovers!
So my baby Aurora scared me to death on Tuesday.  I went outside to feed her early and she wasn't in her cage. The door needed to be fixed but I thought she'd be fine. But she was missing. I ran all over the yard calling for her, but she didn't come. I  was really worried about her. I ran inside in tears and got my brother to come and help me. He's the one who saw her. I'm guessing she was asleep and then finally heard us calling. She was just sitting there like, What are you doing out here? You usually don't feed me this early. So thankfully we caught her. I think she was confused because we were both calling her, but she ran to my brother. Just a quick thank you to my family who helps every time a bunny gets out. I couldn't catch them without you.
Now on to rabbit cages......................

Introduction
So rabbit cages. What kind is right for you? What kind is right for your bunny? What kind do you have room for? Should you build it? How much does it cost? Where do you put it? How do you choose?? I know it's a lot to think about. But don't think about all that! Let me tell you, it's not that hard. All it takes is a little bit of research and you find all you need to know. To try to make it a little bit easier I am going to tell you everything I know about rabbit cages right here. All in one post. So you won't have to search for all that info. It depends on the breed, the size, and if it will be indoors or outdoors.

Wire Cages
The all-wire cage. You may have heard that wire cages are bad for a rabbit's feet. You're right. Wire cages can give your rabbit sores on their feet, but some rabbits (Angoras) need wire cages. Because Angoras have so much fur on their feet the wire doesn't hurt them, but still, like with all rabbits, you should put something in their cage (like a piece of wood) for them to rest on. Angoras need wire that is 1in. by 1in. or 1in. by 1/2in.(Note: If they have babies they can't be on wire this size. The babies will get stuck or fall through!)  Here is the one I might buy from Fleet Farm:
                                     Photo credit: Fleet Farm

Oh and here's a cool wire cage setup.


Hutches
The rabbit hutch. It's pretty basic. Make sure it's easy to clean, is protected from the weather, and from any animals that may want to eat your bunnies.
                                                                   Photo credit: Pinterest
And there's also the A-frame.
Photo credit: Pinterest


Condos.
Bunny condos are the new "in" thing that lots of bunny owners are using. You build these yourself. (Although I think you can buy them).
Photo credit: Pinterest


Runs/Yards.
The perfect place for your bunny to play! I think all bunnies should be taken outside to play. I built one for my bunny. (Note: I will do a post with pictures of my rabbit setup some other time.) See how happy your bunny will be??
                                                                      Photo credit: Pinterest



                                                                                                                            
                                                                                                                     Photo credit: Pinterest



Repurposed.
Many people make rabbit hutches/cages/yards out of hutches, dressers, trampolines(!), etc, etc,etc. Use your imagination!
                                                                     
                                                                                                              Photo credit: Pinterest



                                                                        

                                                                  Photo credit: Pinterest

The Classic Cage.
The classic small animal cage. Not much to say about this one............

                                                                     Photo credit: Google

Bonus: The Dog Cage.
The dog cage turned rabbit cage.
                 
                                                                   Photo credit: Pinterest




                                                                                                              Photo credit: Pinterest
   



Where to put it.
You should put your bunny in a quiet, cool (if bunnies overheat they can die (especially Angoras)), low traffic area, make sure that nothing can get in their cage to eat them, and make sure it's bunny proof (there's nothing in there that could harm them, they can't get out). Last of all put it in an easy to get place where you can see your bunny.
Well that's all. Hoped it helped!



"Cookies" found a new home! (along with all but 1 of the bunnies). 
His owner says: "I named him Link from the game Zelda. I love his tummy markings".
Here are pictures of him in his new home.


                             
                                                                (Photos from his owner)

Later All,
Emma

P.S. Did I miss something in this blog post? Do you have any questions? Did I get something wrong? Feel free to tell/ask me in the comments! I would love to hear form you!

                                                                    Bunny Question #1:
                                                            Is it ok to keep rabbits outside?
                                                      Tell me what you think in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gettin Things in Order. My Bunny Binder (With FREE Printables!)

What is up Bunny Lovers? So I have made a Bunny Binder! It's for keeping my things in order. I just randomly did this today for like no reason at all but.....I like it,     so here it is! This is the cover:                                                                                                                  I found this adorable printable here:                        https://blog.littlegirlspearls.com/animal-friends-free-printable-set/ I found the rest of the printables here: https://www.thehandmadehome.net/2017/06/free-planner-2018/ I used the: Info Pages Goals Weekly Views Cleaning Schedule And Monthly Budget. (They are all in order of the pictures).                                                              I made this with Washi Tape:                                                                                                                 It's bb for bunny binder. I also have some Llama planner

I'm back and we have babies!

Hi There Bunny Lovers! I AM BACK!!!! Sorry I haven't posted in a while. We have baby bunnies!!!! Orchid had 5 babies on March 16th the day after my b-day! I don't know if they are boys are girls yet but here come the pictures!!!!! So I am going to start vlogging about the bunny farm. Hopefully soon. And I am trying to make this blog how I want it to be. I guess that starts with posting more, right? I plan to do a post really soon from a bunny's POV.  I hope you guys will like it. Until Then, Emma A.K.A. The Bunny Girl

And Then There Were Lionheads

Hi there Bunny Lovers! So....I got me some Lionheads! I got a trio. I am so sorry for not blogging lately guys but I just wasn't in the mood and there was something else. I will tell you in a minute. But first the rabbits! Sorry the pictures  aren't the best :) I'm not sure if I have favorite yet...... :) Meet,  Wooly's Orchid My next doe, Wooly's Saribi And my first buck! (Although I did have a buck as a pet when I was litte. His name was Joey. I'll try to find a picture for you guys someday), Noble Heir's Prairie Turnip More on them later once I get to know them better. Oh and I got them on the 10th of Feb. So Bunny Farm updates: You remember I said there was another reason I didn't want to write?  Aurora died.   :( :(        Shortly after I made the hard choice to sell her (I even found someone who was going to take her), I went out in the morning to take care of the bunnies and she was dead. On a brighter note...I did get a R

Followers